Here is a shortbread that's a little different than most.
The recipe comes from the Yellow Gals With God cookbook
that our ladies Bible study group put together back in 1980.
I've been making them every Christmas since.
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 2/3 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup fine unsweetened coconut
- Mix dry ingredients and work in butter as you would for regular shortbread. Do not over mix.
- Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Pat or roll out on lightly floured surface into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using your handy dandy bench scraper, mark dough into sections and cut into logs about 1/2 inch by 2 inches.
- Using bench scraper or metal spatula, transfer to ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 275 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until cookies are set. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Dip one or both ends of each cookie into chocolate dip (melt 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips with 3 Tbsp milk or cream over hot water until melted, stirring until smooth. If chocolate is still too thick, add a bit more hot milk.)
- Place on waxed paper and refrigerate until chocolate is set.
- These cookies keep very well in a tightly covered container kept in a cool place. (I usually store all of my Christmas cookies and bars in the garage.)