- 4 egg whites.. . . separate each egg into a little cup before adding it to your glass or metal bowl that has had a warm water wash to free it from grease.
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Beat your egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with a stand mixer or a hand mixer . . .until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add your sugar.
- Combine the vinegar and the cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the egg white while you are beating.
- Add the vanilla. . .and beat until very stiff. You should be able to turn your bowl upside down. . safely. . .but really do you want to try?
- Spread the egg whites onto the parchment paper. . . just to the edges of your tracing.
- Bake for an hour. . .open up the oven and have a peek. . the meringue should feel dry and no longer soft. If need be. . leave it in another 10 minutes and check.
- Leave the meringue in the oven and turn it off. Leave in until completely cooled.
- May be made ahead.
Beat 2 cups of whipping cream. . . spread over top the meringue just before serving.
Slice kiwi. . . and put pomegranate seeds on top for a Christmas dessert or strawberries and kiwi. . .whatever is pretty and in season.
To easily remove the seeds from the pomegranate. . ahead of time. Slice the pomegranate in half. . .break apart the membranes from the seeds. If you put the roughly removed seeds into a bowl with water. . .the membranes will rise to the top. . .Drain the seeds in a colander.