- 2 1/2 cups whole candied cherries, red and green
- 3 to 4 cups golden raisins
- 2 cups candied pineapple (cut in large chunks)
- 1 cup candied orange peel or citron
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups whole blanched almonds
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 9 eggs
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Measure all the fruits and nuts into very large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and orange juice.
- Beat on high speed for several minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Stir batter into fruit mixture and combine well.
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared well-greased pans.
- Bake at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for about 2 hours or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool.
Yield: 3 medium loaves
*I did six mini-loaves and two larger loaves this year.
Now here's the part that makes this fruitcake so moist and yummy; wrap in brandy moistened cheesecloth. I used about 1 1/2 cups of apricot brandy for this recipe. Store the wrapped cakes in a cool place.