My favourite Chocolate Cake is from the cookbook Eat, Shrink & Be Merry by Janet & Greta Podleski. I've done a bit of tweaking in today's recipe. You can find the original in their cookbook that I've used lots over the years.
Preheat the oven to 300
- 3 ounces good quality chocolate. . I did use Callebaut Chocolate that I bought in the bulk section. It worked out to be a heaping 1/3 cup chopped chocolate
- 1 cup of strong brewed hot coffee
Combine the chocolate and the coffee, stir well and allow to cool while you continue.
Sift together the following ingredients. . .
- 3 cups white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
In another large bowl beat with a stand or hand mixer
- 3 farm fresh eggs until thicken and lemon colored.
Slowly add .. .
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup well shaken buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cocoa/coffee mixture
- Slowly add the sugar / flour mixture until combined.
- Divide the batter into 2 . . .10 inch or 3 . . .9 inch pans that have been greased and the bottom lined with parchment paper.
- The baking time will depend on how many pans you have divided the batter into.
- Test with a toothpick at 50 minutes and then every 5 minutes after. The toothpick should come out clean. . use a clean toothpick every time you test.
I used butter icing for the Tinkerbell cake, but for the adults. . I made chocolate ganache frosting.. .
- 1 pound Callebaut Chocolate or good quality chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/4 unsalted butter.
- Finely chop the chocolate
- Bring the cream, sugar, corn syrup and butter to a simmer.. .stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the chocolate, stirring until smooth.
- Add the butter and continue to stir until smooth.
- Put it in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally until spreading consistency.