This is my daughter's recipe and it uses whole foods and natural sugars coming from the dried fruit. I will share with you today two versions to show how easy it is to switch things up and add whatever you wish. The nuts don't have to be toasted but they do add a depth of flavor if they are.
Each variation makes one loaf pan cut into bars.
Coconut Date Bars: (Top Bar)
- 1 cup of toasted nuts (1/2 each of almonds and cashews)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups of medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Ginger Date Bars: (Bottom Bar)
- 1 cup toasted nuts (1/2 cup each of almonds and pecans were used)
- 1 cup of mejooled dates
- 1 - 2" piece of ginger peeled and shredded or finely diced if you like pieces of ginger in it.
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Add the nuts into a food processor and pulse until you have small pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until the mixture is well combined and sticky.
- Press into a parchment lined loaf pan.
- Chill in the refridgerator until firm.
- Remove from pan and cup into bars.
- They keep well in the refridgerator for about a month or freeze.