I love any kind of creamed vegetable soup with exotic spices and flavours, whether ordering at a restaurant or trying them at home. This easy to make soup is sure to warm you on a cold day.
- 2 sweet potatoes (yams) peeled, chopped (4 - 5 cups)
- 5 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, choped very fine
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated fine
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cury powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock ( I use water and 3 teaspoons better than bouillon)
- 1 cup half and half cream
- Chop peeled yams and carrots into 1 inch slices. Bring to boil in salted water and cook for 5 - 7 minutes. Drain. Transfer to aluminum lined roasting pan. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and pepper. Roast at 400° F for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook onion with the rest of the olive oil in the same pot as you cooked the vegetables. Cook until soft and golden.
- Add vinegar, garlic, ginger and spices. Cook, stirring for a minute, then add 1 cup broth. Simmer until the roasted vegetables are done.
- Blend roasted vegetables along with the cream in blender (or add all to pot and use immersion blender.)
- Add to pot along with enough broth to make the right consistency.
- Serve with a dollup of yogurt or sour cream, if desired. Pumpkin seeds, toasted coconut and chives are options for garnish. Serves 6