This is a perfect dish for date night. The crepes can be divided between individual gratin dishes. The flavour of the seafood is delicious in the creamy white sauce. The recipe can be easily doubled to serve company.
- 1 cup all flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk (more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Butter as needed to cook crepes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 portion salmon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup small bay scallops
- 1/3 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the flour, the milk, (a bit at a time) vegetable oil, and salt and begin whisking. Pour in the remaining milk. Add additional milk if needed. The batter should be like heavy cream. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Heat a 9-inch non-stick pan over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of butter to the pan and then ladle about 1/4 cup batter into the pan, tilting the pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until the top surface is no longer wet and then flip over and cook for another 10 seconds. Stack crepes on a plate.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon butter. When the butter is melted, add the salmon to the pan and cook on each side until browned and the center is nearly done. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons butter, and add the flour, stirring to combine. Whisk in the milk slowly to combine and continue to whisk over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Add the shrimp and scallops and simmer just until the seafood is opaque. ( a few minutes) Add the parmesan and half the Gruyere cheese. Add half of the chives and parsley. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Break up the salmon and divide between crepes. Add a few tablespoons of the seafood to a crepe, Roll it up and transfer to a greased baking dish or put two in individual baking dishes.
- Top with the last of the sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake at 350 F until the top is browned and the sauce is bubbly. Top with the last of the chopped herbs.
Makes 8 crepes