These apple crisp muffins are a nice treat when you need a picker upper, they go really well with a cup of coffee. They freeze well and are quick to thaw for that work or after school snack, dessert or even breakfast. Enjoy them plain or top with caramel sauce and a dollop of whipped cream if you want to serve them for dessert. In any case they are a neat little hand held mouthful or two of goodness.
This is a large recipe. Handy for extra in the freezer.
- 6 medium/large McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and cut in small chunks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium sized saucepan mix ingredients together and cook just until the apples turn tender, approx 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- 2 cups oats, I used old fashioned oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups cold butter, cut in cubes
- Whisk together oats, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add butter cubes and using pastry blender cut butter into dry ingredients until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Place heaping tablespoons of crumbs in each mini muffin cup, press into bottom and up the sizes to the top. I used mini muffin pans.
- Spoon approx 2 teaspoons apple filling into each muffin cup
- Bake in 350º for 25 minutes, allow to cool in pan then remove carefully and serve. Place remaining muffin cups in a tightly covered container and freeze.
- Yield: 48 mini muffin cups