These bars were popular with our children when they were in high school.
Anyone who loves peanut butter and chocolate will enjoy them.
- Place rice cereal and corn flakes in a large bowl
- Line an 11 by 15 inch pan with waxed or parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter with brown sugar, peanut butter and syrup.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly as it will burn easily.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour over cereals and mix well.
- Spread in prepared pan pressing down firmly with a spoon or place waxed paper over mixture and press with your hand. If you don't press it firmly enough, it will crumble when you cut it later.
- Melt chocolate chips with butter over medium low heat, stirring until all the chips are melted.
- Spread evenly over cereal bars.
- Refrigerate for 1/2 an hour or so and then cut through the chocolate layer only, marking it into fairly small pieces. That way the chocolate will not break into uneven pieces when it has set and you cut the bars later.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is set.
- Cut into small pieces (following the scoring you did in the chocolate.
- Store bars in refrigerator in a covered container between layers of waxed paper.