I first posted this salad back in 2009. This one is worth mentioning here on the blog again. As you can see there are very few ingredients in this salad, but the dressing is what really makes this salad so tasty.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, broken into bite size pieces
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- 2 cups corn chips, add to salad right after tossing with dressing
- Tear romaine into bit size pieces.
- Chop tomatoes and slice green onions and toss them into the romaine.
- Add cheese and olives if desired.
- Add corn chips after tossing salad with dressing. Serve immediately so the chips stay crisp.
The dressing for this salad looks almost curdled once blended together and the oil separates as it sits. Give it a good stir just before pouring it over the salad ingredients.
1/2 cup mayo
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup oil
1 clove crushed garlic (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place all dressing ingredients into a blender or small food processor and blend until dressing is creamy with no lumps. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Keeps well in the refrigerator for several days. The lemon juice helps the avocado to not discolour, but I usually toss the avocado stone into the dressing in the refrigerator as that helps it not to brown as well.
- Place prepared vegetables in a large bowl. When ready to serve, toss with dressing and corn chips. Toss gently.