For Flashback Friday I'm bringing back a sidedish that never ceases to draw raves at my table.
It's simple, healthy and so full of flavour.
- linguine pasta to feed 4-6 people
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small or medium sized zucchini
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium onion cut in half and then thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, washed and cut into a chiffonade* or 1 -2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk or half and half cream
- 1 cup shredded cheeses - 1/2 Parmesan, 1/2 Mozzarella
* A chiffonade cut is when you stack the basil leaves and then cut them into fine ribbons
- Cook linguine in salted water according to package directions
- Using a Mandoline or julienne peeler make long ribbons of carrot and zucchini. I usually discard the soft centre of the zucchini.
- Heat olive oil in fry pan on medium heat and saute' onion, garlic and carrot until wilted, then add zucchini and saute' a few minutes longer. Vegetables should be tender but not soft.
- Drain linguine.
- Add butter and milk or cream to the pasta pot on medium heat and stir until butter is melted.
- Return linguine to pot, add saute'ed vegetables, fresh or dried basil and cheese.
- Using tongs or a pasta server, toss until vegetables are distributed and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.