We have neighbors who spend the winter months in Yuma and they brought me a gift when they returned home this spring - a box of dates bought on the farm where they were grown.
So delicious !
I made matrimony squares with them and of course, made them gluten free.
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups dates - pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown or golden sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 gluten free oak flakes
- 1 1/4 cup Julie's Flour Mix or your favorite GF all purpose mix
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (unless you are using a mix that includes it)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- Cook the filling until it is a soft, smooth, spreadable mixture (add more water if needed)
- Remove from stove and let cool slightly while you prepare the crumbs.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, then cut in butter until you have uniform crumbs.
- Place half of the crumbs into a 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Pat crumbs down and then cover with the date filling
- Cover with remaining crumbs and pat down.
- Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned - about 30 - 40 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting.