This rhubarb dessert tastes light and has just the right balance of sweet meringue, rhubarb filling with a thin shortbread crust.
It's great for bringing to a potluck as it will serve 18 people.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or mixer and pat into a 10 X 15 cake pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes.
- 6 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 1/3 cup minute tapioca
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Put rhubarb evenly over the baked crust. Sprinkle evenly with tapioca.
- Beat together egg yolks, sour cream, whipping cream and sugar.
- Pour evenly over rhubarb.
- Bake for one hour.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- During the last few minutes of baking time, mix together cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar and water in a bowl. Heat in microwave until clear and bubbly. Alternately, mix in a small pot over medium heat and stir until clear and bubbly.
- Whip egg whites in a large bowl while slowly adding in the 3/4 cup sugar. When the egg whites start to form soft peaks, add the cornstarch mixture and beat until stiff.
- Smooth meringue over the hot rhubarb filling.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 and bake for 20 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned on top. Turn off oven and leave dessert in for another 20 minutes.
- Cool and cut into squares using a wet sharp knife. Refrigerate until ready to serve.