Do you like peanut butter and chocolate together?
This creamy dessert is laden with both and is easily made ahead.
One note: In the pictures, you'll see I used peanut butter wafer bars to sprinkle
between the layers and on top.
I usually use peanut butter cups but thought the crunch of the wafer bars would be a nice change
However, I found that the wafers absorb the moisture of the puddings and don't stay crunchy.
So my recommendation is to use the peanut butter cups instead.
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Mix all ingredients together and press into a 9" x 9"pan.
- Refrigerate while you prepare the peanut butter layer.
For the Peanut Butter Layer:
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup icing sugar *
½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup icing sugar * (second amount)
- 15 miniature or 6-7 regular Reeces’s Peanut butter cups, chopped
- In large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, 3/4 cup of the icing sugar and the peanut butter.
- In another bowl, whip the cream with 1/4 cup icing sugar.
- Fold in ½ of the Whipped Cream into the cream cheese mixture. Continue folding until all the white streaks are gone.
- Spread on crust.
- Sprinkle liberally with chopped Peanut butter cups. Chill.
* You can add up to 1 cup icing sugar to the cream cheese and 1/2 cup to the whipping cream if you like it sweeter.
For the Chocolate Layer:
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 3.9 ounce package Chocolate instant pudding
- whipped cream remaining from the Peanut Butter Layer
- Beat together milk and pudding mix on low for 2 minutes.
- Fold in rest of whipped cream.
- Spread carefully over peanut butter cups.
- Top with remaining Oreo crumbs.
- Refrigerate until serving. (at least 2 hours)
Note: This recipe can be adapted to make a chocolate trifle if desired..
Simply layer chocolate cake pieces with peanut butter filling, chocolate filling and chopped peanut butter cups in a large glass bowl or individual dessert dishes. Top with whipped cream and more peanut butter cups.
It's every bit as decadent as it looks. Enjoy!