A couple of times now, I've had a sandwich at Earl's Restaurant that I just had to try a similar version of at home. The one that inspired me is filled with grilled chicken, melted brie, spinach, fig jam and roasted apples . . . just in case you'd like to try it that way.
For the bread, you can purchase a ciabatta loaf or make your own if you think about it the night before. I used Lovella's no knead bread recipe as a base. Instead of shaping it into a ball and placing it in a heavy pot, I dumped the risen dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, stretched it out to the length of the sheet and shaped it (using flour) into a flat loaf. I let it rise (covered) for two hours and baked it at 425 F for about 30 minutes.
- 1 loaf of ciabatta bread
- mayonnaise for spreading
- 2 grilled chicken breasts (grilled fresh or leftover from day before dinner), sliced
- 1 round 125g Danish Camembert Cheese, sliced
- cherry jam or cranberry jelly
- 1 thinly sliced apple grilled or cooked in 1/2 Tbsp butter
- sweet pea shoots (or any favorite greens)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Slice loaf horizontally, then divide into four servings.
- Spread every slice with mayonnaise
- On bottom halves, place sliced chicken and cheese. Place those in the oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- In the meantime, cook apple slices in 1/2 tbsp butter for about 5 minutes.
- Top melted cheese with jam/jelly, apple slices and sweet pea shoots.
- Finish off with top slice. Serve with a large green salad and call it dinner. A little messy but so delicious!