I was introduced to these scones when my daughters prepared a Mother's Day brunch for me back in May. These scones don't need a thing on them . . . they are moist and full of flavor, almost like eating carrot cake.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp dry, ground ginger or 1 Tbsp fresh, grated*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrots
- coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, ginger and salt, then combined sugar and zest.
- With pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients.
- In a separate small bowl, beat egg with a fork, adding buttermilk and vanilla and stirring in grated carrots.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring with a fork. Gather, using a dusting of flour.
- Pat into circle on greased or parchment paper lined pizza pan or cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Cut into 8 wedges and pull apart slightly. (may have to flour hands)
- Bake at 425 F for about 18 minutes. Allow to cool.