For those who love cream pies, this one is a winner with a silky smooth texture, a chocolate cookie crust and just enough peanut butter flavour to please everyone.
You could also make these in individual serving dishes.
Because this filling requires constant stirring, you will want to use a whisk that will get into the corners of the pan.
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Place cookie crumbs and sugar in a bowl.
- Pour melted butter over crumbs and mix with a fork until evenly moistened.
- Press into 9 inch pie plate.
- Refrigerate until filling is ready.
For the filling:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Whipped cream, peanuts and chocolate pieces for garnish.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl, whisk lightly and set aside.
- Place sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt in a large saucepan.
- Add milk and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture boils. Please note that this milk mixture scorches very quickly so you will want to keep stirring as it heats or you will notice little brown bits coming up from the bottom of the pan. Be sure to get into the corners of your pan as you stir.
- Continue stirring and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the hot mixture to the egg yolks, stirring as you add it. Continue adding the hot mixture 1 tablespoon at a time and stirring until egg yolk mixture is warm.
- Add egg yolk mixture to the remaining milk mixture, stirring as you add it until the two are completely blended.
- Replace pot on medium low heat and continue to stir constantly as it cooks for 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat and add peanut butter and butter, stirring until well blended.
- Pour into prepared crust and refrigerate until chilled.
- When pie filling is cold, top with whipped cream and garnish with peanuts and chocolate.