I created this recipe due to allergies and lifestyle choices, but it is so good that we can all enjoy it.......I may never make plain waffles again.
This recipe is dairy and egg free, but you would never know it.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk or soy milk
- 1/4 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas *
- Combine all the dry ingredients.
- Combine the mashed bananas, milk, vanilla and oil.
- Add all the dry ingredients into the wet and combine until moistened, due not over beat.
- *I used frozen bananas and the moisture content is higher than fresh ones. If you use fresh bananas you may have to add a little more milk.
- Preheat the waffle iron. I find I need to spray mine a bit with a vegetable oil to keep from sticking from time to time.
- Bake the waffles according to your waffle maker, and serve with Custard Sauce, yogurt and fresh fruit.
- If you have left over waffles they freeze well and can be reheated in a toaster or oven for a few minutes.
Custard Sauce (Gluten Free, Egg free and Dairy free)
- 5 cups of unsweetened Almond milk
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup honey (or sugar)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine the cornstarch with about 1 cup of milk
- Heat the remaining milk until almost boiling point.
- Add the honey, cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add the coconut oil, vanilla extract remove from heat.
- Serve over waffles with fresh fruit.
This recipe yielded about 12 8" waffles.