Summer's are for lazy relaxing evenings, enjoying long evening's, slowing down the hectic pace of life. BBQing and inviting people you love to share it with you is a good way to do it. This dish I first tasted in my cousin Kathy's home when I was visiting Ontario last summer. It really is a nice meal that involves little effort in the kitchen. Serve it with roasted potatoes a fresh salad, and of course a yummy rhubarb cake to finish off the meal.
- 12 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 1 shallot, minced, (or 6 green onions, white part only)
- Juice from 2 fresh limes to equal 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated gingeroot
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a large resealable bag.
- Add the chicken and remove excess air, marinade over night.
- Discard marinade, and grill chicken on a lightly oiled grill for about 15 minutes on medium heat, until the chicken in cooked through and no pink, turning the chicken frequently to prevent burning.
Serve with the following Pineapple / Mango Salsa
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1 cup diced fresh mango
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup minced red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- juice from 1 fresh lime
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt if desired