I leaned over the island counter to read her recipe card. She smiled and asked if I wanted to copy it .
I did !
I give her recipe here as I copied it, then also give my Gluten-free variation.
- 1 kg bag of frozen Hash-browns (2 lbs)
- 2 tbs. chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 tin of cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- crushed cornflakes for topping
- Mix all of the above and spoon into greased baking dish
- Top with the crushed cornflakes
- Bake for 45-60 min. at 350 degrees.
- 1 kg (2 lbs) of frozen Hash-browns
- 1/2 chopped fine onion
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 slightly rounded tsp of sweet rice flour
- 3 slightly rounded tsp of cornstarch
- 1/2 link of farmer sausage
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- crushed gf cornflakes
- Slice sausage thin, and pan fry in coconut oil for a few minutes.
- Mix sweet rice flour and cornstarch, salt and pepper and stir into the two cups of milk
- Drain fat from the sausage, then add the milk to the sausage in the pan and cook, stirring until thickened.
- In large mixing bowl mix all the ingredients, adding the hash-browns last and spoon into buttered baking dish.
- Top with cornflakes and bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
Note - I was out of chicken breasts so I tried it with the sausage which we enjoyed - but it would also be good with chopped chicken breast instead of the sausage. Since this makes a large recipe I cooked half of it and froze the other half for another day.
(If you just love chopping, you could of course cube your own raw potatoes)