I always keep some Whole Wheat Pannini Flatbread in my freezer for those days when supper needs to be on the table in a rush. It is fully baked so it only needs to be crisped and heated through.
With this pizza, I fry the toppings together while the oven or grill is preheating.
While the pizza is in the oven, I scrub some carrots from the garden and slice some cucumbers for everyone to munch on while the pizza is baking.
To speed up dinner preparations even more... prepare sausage and veggies in the morning and refrigerate them until later in the day when you are ready to put your pizza together.
- whole wheat pannini flatbread (enough for how many you are serving. It comes in squares and I count on one 6 inch square per person which I then cut into quarters for serving
- favorite pizza sauce
- Mexican blend shredded cheese (count on about 3/4 cup per person)
- diced onion
- sliced red bell peppers
- finely diced chorizo sausage (about 1/3 cup diced per person)
- Preheat the oven or the grill to 400.
- Scramble fry the sausage, and drain well on paper towels. Using a paper towel, wipe the pan of the excess fat and then add the sausage back to the pan and add the onion and fry until the onions have caramelized. Add the bell peppers and stir fry until the peppers are just tender.
- Spread pizza sauce on the pannini bread.
- Sprinkle with cheese and the toppings.
- To have a crisp bottom pizza, carefully put the pizza directly on the racks or grill.
- Heat until the cheese is melted and the pizza is heated through.