This light and fruity pie can be made ahead and
is the perfect dessert after a heavy holiday meal.
It's also a great addition to a summer Barbeque.
For the crust:
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup medium shred coconut
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
For the filling:
- 1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup sugar (first amount)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 egg whites (if you are pregnant or have a compromised immune system or will serve this to children, it is recommended that you use pasteurized egg whites)
- 1/3 cup sugar (second amount)
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1/2 - 1 cup toasted coconut
For the Crust:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well blended.
- Press into bottom and up sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
For the Filling:
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Place juice in measuring cup and add water to make 1 1/4 cups liquid.
- Pour into medium sized saucepan.
- Sprinkle gelatin over liquid and let stand to soften for about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar and stir over medium heat until gelatin is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil.
- Pour into a medium sized bowl and add pineapple, lemon zest and juice, stirring to blend.
- Refrigerate, stirring every 5 minutes or so until it begins to gel. The consistency should be similar to unbeaten egg whites.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar a little at a time, beating until stiff and glossy.
- Add beaten egg whites to pineapple mixture, folding until white streaks disappear.
- In another bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Remove 1 cup whipped cream and set aside for topping.
- Add remaining whipped cream to pineapple/egg white mixture and continue folding until well mixed.
- Pile pineapple mixture into prepared crust.
- Add 1 tablespoon icing sugar to reserved 1 cup whipped cream, beat briefly.
- Place in a piping bag with a large tip and pipe a circle of rosettes around edge of pie.
- Pipe a few more in the center of the pie.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut in center of pie and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serves 8.