This recipe was passed on to me by a wonderful cook in my husband's extended family.
Make it the night before and pop it in the oven when you get up in the morning.
The buttermilk syrup is wonderful and a nice option to the usual pancake syrup.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (1st amount)
- 3 tart apples, cored and thinly sliced (it's fine to leave the apples unpeeled)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 loaf French Bread cut into 1 inch thick slices
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1 /2 teaspoons cinnamon (2nd amount)
- Combine brown sugar, melted butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and spread evenly over the bottom of a 9"x 13" baking dish.
- Distribute sliced apples and cranberries over the sugar and butter.
- Arrange slices of bread over the fruit.
- Beat eggs together with milk, vanilla and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon until well blended.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread, being sure all bread is soaked.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375º for about 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Buttermilk Syrup. ( recipe follows)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup (the clear kind)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Place all ingredients except vanilla in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over low heat and boil for about 7 minutes. Be careful as this syrup will boil over quickly and make a real mess.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
This syrup is delicious over any pancakes, waffles or French toast.