I had extra orange peppers in my fridge and was hungry for stuffed peppers.
I wondered how it would work to stuff them with a quiche mixture.
We loved the result and I'll make them again.
It's also one more recipe for that bumper zucchini crop.
Because we're empty-nesters, this recipe will only serve 2
but you could easily double or triple the recipe.
- 2 medium sized yellow, orange or red bell peppers
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini (pat out on paper towel to absorb excess moisture)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 1 rounded tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Carefully cut around the stem of the pepper, take the stem and twist to lift out the seeds. Remove rib membranes and any loose seeds. If necessary, slice a very thin piece off the bottom (without cutting into the body of the pepper) to make each pepper stand upright. Place in parchment lined baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg and milk and beat well.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring to mix it all well.
- Spoon mixture into hollowed out peppers.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake at 350º for 3/4 to 1 hour. Insert a knife into egg mixture - if knife comes out clean it is done.
- Let sit for 5 minutes and serve.