I wish very one of you dear readers and followers of our blog
My friend in the deep south has a family tradition of drinking 'Wassail' on Christmas Day. I think we might call it Hot Punch.
I remember in the early 80's we were at a meeting one winter evening where the hostess made a hot spiced fruit punch . It was the first time I had had anything like it and I still remember the taste of the first surprise sip!
This Wassail is just like it! I love it ! and when it is cooking the smell in the house is delightful!
- 1/2 gal. unsweetened tea (I used 8 cups of boiling water and 9 Orange Pekoe tea bags)
- 46 oz. of Pineapple juice
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 24 whole Cloves
- 24 whole allspice (or 3 tsp of ground allspice)
- 1 tin of frozen orange juice (12oz/355ml)
- 1 tin of frozen lemonade (12 oz/355 ml)
- 2 cups sugar ( I found this a little too sweet - I think 1 1/2 cups is lots)
- 5 cups water
- Bring the first 5 ingredients to a boil in a huge soup pot (larger than a 5 quart size)
- Boil for 15 minutes
- then add the sugar and frozen juices
- Add 5 cups of water to make a total of 5 quarts wassail.
- Heat until hot. Serve .... can be kept warm in a slow cooker for a party.
200 cal. per 8 oz serving with significant Vitamin C .
**Note -- Don't forget to make your New Year's fritters ! Click on the picture at the top right side bar for the regular recipe or find my GF recipe here.