I've enjoyed making this flavorful sweet and spicy soup as an appetizer or lunch. You can make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I like it either way.
- 4 sweet red peppers
- 3 sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Italian herb seasoning (rosemary and basil mix)*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Cut peppers into into 1-inch strips. Peel and slice yams. Coarsely chop up onion.
- Toss vegetables, peeled garlic, oil, Italian herbs, salt and pepper in large roasting pan.
- Roast (covered) in 400 F for 45 - 60 minutes. Until tender.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups cold water into roasted vegetables to cool slightly, then blend in blender or food processor (in batches) to puree.
- Pour into cooking pot. Add chicken broth and a bit more water, to desired consistency. Bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream. Serves 4-6