Our church has pastorates which are smaller than our church but bigger than a care group. We meet twice a month, mid week and when we get together we eat supper together to start our evening. Most times it is a potluck and I thought it might be a good idea for us to start sharing some meal ideas for larger groups.
This Chicken in sauce is economical as far as a meat dish goes.
- 4 kilograms / 8 pounds boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 1 pound of frozen peeled large shrimp with tails on (optional)
- 4 - 6 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 1 48 ounce can mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup dry onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freeze dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
- 1/2 cup sherry or chicken stock
- Arrange the chicken thighs or breasts in the bottom of a large roasting pan.
- Sprinkle the sliced mushrooms over the chicken
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken. Cover.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 2 hours. Add the frozen shrimp and continue to bake an additional hour uncovered.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
This chicken served over hot rice or pasta or mashed potatoes with a salad and rolls will serve 30 - 35 people.