These little bread cups filled with left over turkey or chicken bathed in a flavourful sauce brings me back to my mom's kitchen. Back in the day when there was still regular Sunday evening church services my parents would often invite a group of their friends or new comers over for a light lunch after the service. During the afternoon mom would put our her best dishes and get things ready. Chicken Ala King is one of the things she would serve. along with veggies and dip, pickles and of course something sweet.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, thinly diced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream (or milk)
- 1/2 tin cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups chicken or turkey, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed
- Melt butter. Add onions and celery, and saute until translucent.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir to absorb butter.
- Add chicken stock, cream and soup. Stir well and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Add meat and peas. Simmer another 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, cut crusts off bread and press slices into muffin tin forming little bread cups.
- Toast in 400º oven for 8-19 minutes. When toasted, remove to plate and fill with sauce. Serve immediately. Yields 4 servings.