I am happy with the crumb and the flavor, and it passes the ultimate test --
my gluten-loving husband likes it !
An hour or more before you want to make this bread, soak 3/4 cup of raisins (or more if you are like me and like to snack on them! ) in 2 tbsp. of vanilla.
** I make my own Vanilla by buying a bottle of light Rum, adding several scored vanilla beans and let it sit for 6 months or more until it is dark.
INGREDIENTS and METHOD
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 cup gluten-free bread/bun mix (I use Kinickinnik)
- 1/2 cup white corn flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup raisins soaked in boiling water for a few minutes (drain water)
- Proof yeast with sugar, gelatin and instant yeast
- In mixer bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in egg, milk and vanilla
- Add dry ingredients and beat on high speed for 2-3 minutes until batter looks smooth and stretchy.
- Scrape dough into a medium sized loaf pan and let rise until loaf rounds top of pan. (Cover pan with plastic wrap)
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes or until nicely browned. Don't under bake.
- Remove from oven and cool for several minutes before removing from pan to finish cooling on wire rack before slicing.