- 1 -2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped or grated ginger root
- 1 pinch hot red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 lg can (28 oz) plum tomatoes, with juices, pureed
- 6 cups chicken stock (or water and 2 - 3 bouillon cubes)
- 1 can (2 cups) small green lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (2 cups) chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Heat oil and add onions, garlic, ginger root, hot pepper flakes, cumin and cinnamon.
Cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring.
- Add carrot, celery and tomatoes. Bring to boil.
- Add chicken stock, lentils and chickpeas and continue cooking another 30 – 40 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken near the end. Season with salt and pepper according to taste. Add lemon juice and sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.