With fresh fruit readily available at this time of year...here is a fairly simple way to prepare a fresh fruit torte for a large group. I was given this recipe by my friend Wendy several decades ago...and have prepared it just as it is many times.
- 1 Angel Food Cake Mix
- Fresh Fruit (peaches, blackberries and raspberries...or add strawberries, blueberries and kiwi)
- whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups fruit juice (peach, pineapple, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix cake according to directions; spread in sheet cake sized pan (lined with parchment paper) and bake for 15 minutes. Cool. Remove from pan.
- Prepare glaze by combining ingredients and microwaving on Medium/High until thickened and clear...stirring every minute. Cool.
- Spread half of glaze on base.
- Arrange sliced fruit on glaze-topped cake.
- Spread with remaining glaze.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Optional Method #2 :
When making fruit flans in round pans, I always add a custard layer, and so I decided to use the same custard as a base for the fruit on the sheet cake. Spread custard over sheet cake; top with fruit, spread with glaze and decorate as desired.
- 1 package vanilla pudding and pie filling (3 1/4 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 500 ml. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Cook vanilla pudding according to directions.
- Cool slightly, then beat in softened cream cheese until smooth.
- Cool completely.
- Fold in whipped cream.
This custard is enough for two fruit flans...it stores well in the freezer.