- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut mixed with rind/zest of one orange
- 2 eggs
- 1 (very full) cup buttermilk*
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fruit (frozen blueberries, cranberries, blackberries and/or raspberries)
- sugar for sprinkling
- Prepare 12 regular sized muffin tins by spraying well or lining with paper baking cups.**
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mix coconut and orange zest and add to flour mixture.
- In mixing bowl, whisk /beat eat eggs well. Stir in buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.
- Stir fruit in carefully, so that the dough does not turn purple.
- Fill muffin tins. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake at 375° F for 25 - 30 minutes. Test with toothpick.
* If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can use 1/2 cup plain yogurt and 1/2 cup milk.
**For the photo I greased the wells and lined them with 4 inch squares of parchment paper, held in place with drinking glasses while preparing the batter. It was a bit more time consuming to drop the batter, but turned out well.