Muffin recipes are such that you can play around with them by comparing several that you like and tweaking the ingredients. That is how these muffins came about. They started off as cranberry muffins, so that is what you can do if you like. In this recipe I have also cut down on the fat and sugar and added the coconut and orange zest. You can also add lemon zest, if you like. I like doubling the recipe and making them in the extra large sized muffin cups. If you do this, they will take longer to bake, of course.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ¼ cup coconut mixed with 2 Tbsp orange rind
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 (very full) cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups fruit (frozen blueberries, cranberries, blackberries, raspberries)
- sugar for sprinkling
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs, butter, buttermilk and vanilla together in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.
- Stir fruit in carefully, so that the dough does not turn purple.
- Fill 12 regular sized, well-greased or lined muffin tins. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake at 375F for 25 min. Test with toothpick. Frozen fruit may extend the baking time.
P.S. If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can use 1/2 cup plain yoghurt and 1/2 cup milk.