I had nothing planned for dinner last night so I needed to come up with something when I got home.
I had 2 cooked chicken thighs leftover from dinner 2 days ago and some mushrooms
that needed to be used. Here's what I came up with.
My husband's comment was -"This is something you can make again!" The French Fried onions make the casserole especially good.
- 1 package wide egg noodles
- 1 - 2 cups cut up chicken
- 1 - 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 1 large rib celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh tomato seeded and chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 can cream of celery soup, undiluted (use all of it if needed)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can French Fried Onions
- Cook the noodles in salted boiling water until tender.
- In frying pan, melt butter, (I often add a bit of oil to keep the butter from browning too much) saute' mushrooms, onions and celery until mushrooms are browned.
- Mix soups and mayonnaise together in a bowl.
- In shallow buttered casserole dish, layer noodles, mushroom mixture, chicken and sauce.
- Mix gently with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with french fried onions.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until heated through.