Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Since I have an abundance of eggs on the farm. . .I enjoy whipping up copious amounts of egg whites. . for meringues and cakes. This Chocolate Angel Food Cake is light and it freezes really well. You will need a angel food cake pan. . and it serves 12 easily.
Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup of cake and pastry flour
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee
- Sift the above ingredients together .. either by putting them through a sieve or using a sifter. I generally put it through at least 3 times to add in lightness. I use two bowls and send it back and forth. Set aside.
- 2 cups of egg whites. . .now. . egg sizes vary greatly .. .so you will want to measure the volume but you can count on 12 large eggs or up to 16 medium ones. (or you can purchase egg whites in the dairy case at your grocer)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Divide the eggs carefully. . one in a small dish at a time. Do not break the eggs into one bowl. . adding each egg white. .because it only takes one speck of egg yolk to ruin a batch of meringue. The egg yolks can be divided and frozen in little plastic bags to add into scrambled eggs or quiche.
- In a large metal or glass bowl that has been given a fresh wash with hot soapy water and a good hot rinse. . .beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt.
- When the eggs begin to get frothy, add the sugar. . .slowly and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla
- Remove the beaters and 1/2 cup at a time, fold in the flour and cocoa mixture. This must be done slowly and best with either a large whisk or rubber spatula.
- With care. . .slowly pour the batter into your large angel food pan.
- Bake between 45 and 50 minutes .. .or until the cracks appear dry.
Allow to cool upside down before removing from pan. Cut along the edge with a serrated knife and release the bottom.
To fill the cake. . .I whipped together . ..
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 package of chocolate instant pudding
- 1 package of dream whip
It can be served with ice cream . . or what I often do is make a chocolate ganache. .
1 cup of heavy whipping cream. . .brought to a boil. . .and then removed from heat. . and enough chocolate chips to just come below the surface of the cream. Allow to sit several minutes and then stir until smooth. Allow to cool .. chill until it is still pourable but not runny. .
Pour over cake and refrigerate. . .until hardened and then cover with plastic wrap.