- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup milk. .. 5 tbsp. if leaving the apple out
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup finely chopped apple
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Maple Flavouring or Vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts. . I used FRESH Walnuts. . make sure you taste the nut for freshness
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or maple flavouring
1 cup whipping cream for garnishing the sides of the cake
- Cream butter and the 3/4 cup sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks and milk.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and flavouring.
- Add the apple.
- Spread into 2 parchment lined 9 inch cake pans that you then spray with Pam or butter.
- Set aside while you make the meringue
- Beat the egg whites in a glass or metal bowl that is freshly washed.
- Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar
- Beat until stiff peaks form and then fold in the finely chopped nuts with a spatula
- Spread over the batter in the pans.
- Bake at 325 F for 40 minutes.
While the cake is baking make the filling.
- Blend the sugar and cornstarch and salt in a microwave safe bowl.
- Combine the egg yolks and milk in a small bowl.
- Add the egg yolk, milk mixture to the sugar and cornstarch.
- Cook one minute at a time on high in the microwave, stirring after each minute.
- Cook until it is bubbly. .
- Add the flavouring.
- Allow to cool covered with plastic wrap on the surface of the pudding, in the refrigerator.
Once the cake and the filling are both cool, put down the first cake layer, meringue up, top with the filling and cover with the second cake layer.
Beat the whipping cream with a tablespoon or two of sugar, and I use whipping cream stabilizer if the torte won't be eaten the same day. Spread on the sides of the cake, or put a dollop of whipping cream on each slice as you serve it.
This cake can be made a day ahead. . .