"Bologonese' Sauce refers to dishes that are slowly simmered with vegetables and meat until it is nice and thick.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 Italian sausages . . .casings removed
Brown the ground beef and the sausages together. . .Use a potato masher to ensure even small bits. . .this will take a bit of patience but it's good to have even small bits.
- 1 large onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper
Chop the veggies coarsely and put them in a food processor and pulse until they are even and finely chopped.
Add this to the browned meat. Simmer until the veggies are softened. . about 5 minutes.
Add .. .
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 small tin tomato paste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freeze dried basil leaves. . or use a small fist full of freshly chopped
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
Simmer slowly for about an hour.
Finish with a fist full of chopped parsley. . .and serve over hot spaghetti noodles. . .or which ever noodle suits your fancy.