I used more ground beef than they suggested. . since I freeze my ground beef after purchasing it from a local butcher. Here is how I made the bolgonese sauce.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 Johnsonville Italian sausages . . .casings removed
Brown the ground beef and the sausages together. . .Use a potato masher to ensure even small bits. . .this will take a bit of patience but it's good to have even small bits.
- 1 large vidalia onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic. . . I used prechopped refrigerated garlic. .
- 1 large red bell pepper
Chop the veggies coarsely and put them in a food processor and pulse until they are even and finely chopped.
Add this to the browned meat. Simmer until the veggies are softened. . about 5 minutes.
Add .. .
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1 cup of whole milk. . . .(invite a little child over of your choice for chocolate milk for the remainder of the carton)
- 1 small tin tomato paste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freeze dried basil leaves. . or use a small fist full of freshly chopped
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
Simmer slowly for about an hour .. .stirring occasionally. I let mine simmer for several hours and it lost a bit of liquid .. so an hour would have been just fine.
Finish with a fist full of chopped parsley. . .and serve over hot spaghetti noodles. . .or which ever noodle suits your fancy.