The zucchini plant in our garden is massive and when I can't keep up with the store sized zucchinis I start baking with the bigger ones. When someone offers you a big zucchini, take it and prepare yourself for the best from scratch lemon loaf you have enjoyed in a long time. It's moist and delicious!
- 3/4 cup packed, finely grated unpeeled zucchini, (5 ounces or 150 grams)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- the zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease or prepare with cooking spray an 8 X 4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together zucchini, sugar, oil, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Combine the dry ingredients and stir into wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool a few minutes in the pan and then remove loaf and cool on a cooling rack.
- 1 cup icing/powdered sugar
- enough lemon juice to make a thick but pourable glaze.
- Combine icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Pour over loaf and allow to dry before wrapping in plastic wrap to store at room temperature.