When we do a Flashback Friday we go back to a recipe that we posted closer to when we first started. (This one posted here in 2008.) What we found is that we can't delete the old one because there are dear readers who have pinned it. So now we've been posting a second one, the same as the old, but clarified and cleaned up a bit. Some of us keep the old photo up and some of us are happy to take it off. I'm always happy to change up old photos.
This recipe has a story that I posted about here. When we visited our daughter and family in Indonesia (2011), she hosted a lunch with friends who all brought something they had made from this blog. Needless to say I felt honored, especially when one of them brought this apple cake even though it was quite the feat to get cream cheese where they live. It was wonderful!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 2 – 8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 - 3 thinly sliced apples
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add flour a little at a time and beat until crumbly to resemble a graham wafer type crust.
- Press crumbs out on bottom and a little up the side of a 8 1/2 - 9 inch spring-form pan.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- Pour into pastry-lined pan.
- Arrange apples on top of cream cheese layer and sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon mixture
- Top with almonds.
- Bake at 400° F for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375° F and continue baking for 50 - 60 minutes. Cover loosely with foil for last 10 minutes if almonds get too dark. (shorter baking time is if using a larger pan, because the cake will not be as high)
- Allow to cool 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge before removing the rim.