It's nearing the end of summer, but there's still lots of time to use those fresh veggies. I love the flavors of Greek food and this dip will fit perfectly into that category. I have made this low calorie dip several times over this past season and it's been a hit. It's simple and easy to make. Prepare the ingredients ahead of time and layer it just shortly before serving as the cucumbers tend to get watery if they sit to long.
Seven Layer Greek Dip
- 8 ounces store bought hummus
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, with or without fat
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 cup English cucumber 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup sweet cherry bell tomatoes 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- Combine yogurt, dill, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Chop and prepare your vegetables and assemble just prior to serving.
- In a 7x11 or your favorite serving dish, layer the hummus, yogurt mixture, red onion, cucumber, tomatoes, feta and olives.
- I have also prepared it earlier and carefully drained the excess water.
- Serve together with whole grain pita chips or taco chips.
It's a perfect dish to serve prior to supper or to end off an evening around a campfire.