Humble rhubarb and onion are a surprisingly delicious combination of flavours. The addition of thyme is really nice but can be omitted. Once cooled, serve a little dollop of this jam on a cracker, or try it served warm with pork tenderloin.
(Yields 1 1/2 cups cooked jam)
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Chop rhubarb and slice onions.
- Add olive oil to a non stick pan. Once hot add the onions.
- Cook until the onions begin to get soft. Turn down heat and continue to saute until golden brown. About 5-8 minutes.
- Add chopped rhubarb and water. Allow to cook down until the mixture is soft. About 5 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook over low for another 5-8 minutes, until your jam is cooked down but still has some chunks. Remove sprig of thyme.
- Allow to cool or serve warm. Keeps well in refrigerator for about 5-7 days.