For flashback Friday I am bringing back my shnetchi recipe.
These shnetchi are very good served with jam, honey or Roger's Golden Syrup. This recipe was passed down from my Dad. He told me to always use whipping cream, although I sometimes use buttermilk and they turn out great too. My Dad used to have a shnetchi booth at the Mennonite Heritage Village Museum during Pioneer days. His booth was called 'Uncle Knals Shnetchi'.
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until crumbly.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, add cream and beaten eggs.
- Using a fork stir together just until mixed. Don't overwork the dough or the biscuits will be tough.
- Gather dough into a ball and pat out on counter to desired thickness, approx 3/4 to 1" thick.
- Cut with round cookie cutter or whatever shape you want.
- Place on pan and bake at 400º for 15 minutes or until golden in color.
- Yield: 9 - 12 shnetchi..depending on the thickness and size of cutter you used.