Flapper Pie has long been a favourite dessert of ours since I was a young bride , 49 years ago !
Now that I bake gluten-free I had not made it for some time, but recently my husband expressed a craving for this pie and was quite happy with my gluten free version.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flakes
- 1/2 cup crushed nuts - almonds, walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Mix together into crumbs. Press into a pie plate and bake for 18 minutes @ 350 degrees. Note- optional - keep out 1/4 cup of crumbs to toast separately and then crumble over the meringue.
- Using a vanilla cooked pudding mix prepare as per box instructions or go for scratch with Kathy's recipe. If using a mix that doesn't call for egg yolks add two yolks, saving the egg whites for the meringue.
- When pudding is thickened pour into baked crumb base.
- Whip egg whites sweetened with a tbsp of sugar and 1/4 tsp cream of tartar, beating until stiff but not dry.
- Pile beaten egg whites on top of pudding , scatter crumbs over top (if using) and place in oven with broil element on .... watch closely and remove when egg whites are golden brown .