This cake recipe comes from my friend Jan.
It's a moist dessert cake with a crunchy topping
and is one of the first things I make with rhubarb each spring.
It is similar to Lovella's Rhubarb Coffee Cake but is different enough to merrit its own post.
- 3 cups rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small package strawberry jello
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a medium bowl, mix rhubarb with jello powder. Set aside.
- Mix topping ingredients in another bowl. Set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, combine butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well.
- Add half of flour with salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add sour cream and mix again.
- Add remaining flour and mix just until blended.
- Spread 1/2 of cake batter into greased 9x13 inch pan.*
- Spoon rhubarb over cake batter (use a slotted spoon)
- Sprinkle 1/2 of topping mixture evenly over rhubarb.
- Drop remaining cake batter in spoonfuls over rhubarb/sugar filling and spread evenly so that all of the rhubarb is covered.
- Sprinkle the remaining topping over cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes. Cake should be firm and nicely browned. Do not underbake.
- Serve warm or cold. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
*tip - if using an aluminum pan, line pan with parchment paper to avoid having the rhubarb discolour the pan.