This Platz mix can be used as a base mix for near any kind of fruit Platz, muffin mix or coffee cake. Having the dry ingredients pre-mixed with the butter is a time saver when you need to make something quick for coffee or dessert. This amount makes about 13 cups of mix and will yield about 4 recipes, depending on what you make. The total recipe would serve 48 - 50.
- 8 cups flour (I use unbleached)
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups cold butter
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients and use a grater to grate in the butter, like cheese.
- Stir well, if too chunky, use pastry blender to stir and finish it up.
- Store in refrigerator for up to three months.
- 3 cups mix
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups sliced fruit
- crumbs made from 1 cup mix and 2 - 3 Tbsp cream
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with fork and add buttermilk. Add to dry mix in a larger bowl , stirring with a fork until blended.
- Spread into greased 9x9 inch pan and cover with sliced plums, apricots, apples or finely chopped rhubarb. Sprinkle with about 2 Tbps of sugar if desired or cinnamon sugar for apples.
- Top with crumbs using your hand to mix them.
- Bake at 350 F for 35 - 40 minutes.