Ingredients: (serves 8-10 as a side dish)
- 10 slices bacon, fried and crumbles
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely dices
- 1/2 cup red pepper, finely dices
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 1 cup water
- 4 - 15oz cans pork and beans, with sauce
- Fry bacon until lightly crisp. Remove from pan and chop into small pieces. Place in a large casserole dish. Discard 1/2 the fat in the pan.
- In the remaining bacon fat saute onions and red pepper until they just begin to brown. Remove from the heat and add to the casserole with bacon.
- Add remaining ingredients to the casserole except the beans. Stir well.
- Add beans to the casserole and stir to mix well.
- Bake uncovered in 350º oven for 45 minutes. Stir mixture half way through baking. Serve hot.