I made food for our grandson's road trip. He prefers hand held foods as they are not as messy. He likes tacos and so I thought taco hand pies would be just the thing! You can prepare the dough and the filling the day before which makes it easy peasy to make the pies the following day. I love recipes where you can do the prep work ahead of time. You could make them smaller to serve as an appetizer at a party. They freeze well, thaw and reheat in oven.
Rich and Flaky Dough:
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter, cold and cut in cubes
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten for brushing
- 2 teaspoons water
- In food processor pulse flour and salt a few times, add butter and keep pulsing until butter is in small chunks. You still want pieces of butter to be visible.
- Add ice cold water slowly pulsing just until dough comes together.
- Dump out on slightly floured counter and gather dough together in a ball. Divide into 4 pieces and flatten into disks. Wrap each disk in waxed paper and refrigerate overnight or at least for an hour.
- Remove from fridge, roll out each piece approx 1/8" thick and cut rounds using a 4" biscuit cutter.
- Brush edges of each round with beaten egg and water mixture, place a rounded tablespoon of taco filling mixture in the center and fold dough over to make a half moon.
- Press edges closed with a flour dipped fork.
- Once you have made all your pies, brush with remaining egg and water mixture and pierce tops 2 or 3 times with a fork.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheets and bake at 400º for 18 minutes until golden in color.
- 10 oz ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco powder
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 roma tomato, cut up in small chunks
- 1/2 cup green sweet pepper, cut up in small chunks
- 1 cup shredded cheese
*Update: I realized the taco filling mixture is for half the dough recipe. So if you want to make this amount of dough that I stated you will need to double the taco mixture.
- Fry ground beef until browned, breaking it up into small pieces while frying.
- Remove from heat and stir in taco powder, refried beans, tomato chunks, green pepper chunks, and shredded cheese until well combined.
- Yield: 44 hand held pies. They are good hot or at room temperature. Eat plain or dip in taco sauce or sriracha mayo. Taste great served with a salad.