Some of you have asked if we ever have some healthy dishes. Here's a salad that is chopped full of powerhouse nutrients. I have joined a group of ladies this past fall, for a 7-week challenge. No junk food nor refined sugars. Truly this has been a challenge, but I've noticed how quickly those extra pounds can sneak on. So this week I chose kale and quinoa. I'm very content to eat the same old, but during this time I challenged my self to eat healthier and wiser, hoping to see some beneficial results.
Kale is known as one of the powerhouse of nutrients, high in antioxidants. Quinoa is also known as an ancient grain which is high in fiber and protein and very low in fat and it's gluten free.
You'll notice that we only use olive oil and lemon juice for the dressing, keeping things light.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups kale
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/4 cup red onions.
- 1/4 cup pure virgin olive oil
- 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
- I/2 pound cooked shrimp (optional)
- Cook quinoa as per instructions. I cooked my quinoa in my rice cooker.
- Layer spinach on the bottom of the platter.
- Chop up kale and drizzle pure olive oil on leaves. It gives a perfect healthy shine.
- Combine kale and spinach to form a bed of greens.
- Spoon cooked quinoa on greens.
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in bowl and mix well with 1/4 cup olive oil.
- Spread over quinoa mixture.
- Optional: Top with some freshly cooked shrimp.
- Take your lemon pieces and drizzle juice over the whole salad.
- Add your favorite seasoning spice on top.
- Let the juices and oil marinate your salad.
It's simple, nutritious and it's paid off.