I challenge anyone out there that loves biscuits to try this recipe. I haven't found one that I like better than this gem. It is from the Mennonite Treasury, and this page is torn, splattered and looks very well used. This recipe is the base for so many other recipes, like quick Cinnamon buns or pizza rolls, cheese and garlic buns etc. Try this flaky, buttery, oh so good biscuit.....you won't be sorry.
I made it Sunday morning in hopes of enticing the teenagers out of bed in the morning (cheerfully), with the tempting aroma......alas, biscuits can only do so much........;-)
- 2 c. sifted flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar (it works without it too)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 c. butter
- 2/3 c. milk
- Sift together dry ingredients, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal. Add milk all at once and stir with fork only until blended.
- Knead ten time in a lightly floured board.
- Roll or pat out dough to 1/2 " thickness.
- Cut with floured biscuit cutter and place on lightly buttered baking sheet at 450 for 10-12 minutes.
It needs no extra butter.......so good Mmmm!