What does a cold wintry day call for but a good bowl of soup? This soup is 'naturally' gluten free.
I was invited to my friend, Dorothy's house for lunch some months ago and she served me a lovely tomato soup.
I had not had tomato soup for a long time and found her's so tasty, I asked her for the recipe.
She told me that years ago she and her husband had been travelling and stopped in a town they were not familiar with and asked someone for a good place to have lunch. They were told that they had to go to 4B's because they were known for their excellent tomato soup.
They took the advice and did enjoy the soup, so much that Dorothy asked for the recipe.
Contrary to many restaurants that refuse to share their recipes, this place was so happy to share, that they had pre-printed recipe cards for those who asked. This restaurant is closed now, but my friend still had an original card and was happy to give it to me - the one pictured in the above photo.
The recipe is as follows ...
- 1 tbsp. chicken base paste (I used a chicken bullion cube - make sure it is gluten free if you are on a gluten free diet.)
- 1 cup water
- 1 oz. butter (1 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 15 oz. diced tomatoes (pureed)
- 1 16 ox. can crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz. (1 cup) whipping cream
- 8 oz. liquid coffee creamer (I used milk)
- Combine chicken base, water, butter, chopped onion and sugar
- Simmer until onions are clear
- Add tomatoes, baking soda and stir well.
- Add cream, milk and heat to serve.
Serve with crackers and a salad - and you have a meal that satisfies.