I got this recipe more than 25 years ago from a sweet elderly neighbor and it has become a yearly must for our family . . . a favorite of one of our kids. The texture is somewhat like a butter tart and I cut the pieces quite small, so it' s like eating a little candy bar.
1 1/4 c flour
1/3 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter, room temperature
1 ¼ cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp flour
½ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup shredded coconut
½ cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 c maraschino cherries
- With pastry blender, cut butter into flour and brown sugar until well mixed. It will be moist and crumbly.
- Press into ungreased 9x13 pan. (one that has a lid, makes it easy for storage later)
- Bake at 350F for about 12 min.
- In the meantime, beat eggs slightly, add combined sugar, flour and baking powder,
then the rest of the ingredients.
- Spread over baked layer.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 - 25 min., until golden brown.
2 c icing sugar
2 Tbsp soft butter or margarine
½ tsp vanilla
4 – 6 Tbsp maraschino cherry juice
Beat together in small bowl to make a smooth spreadable frosting. Spread over cooled cake. Cut into 36 - 48 squares. I cut them up before freezing and then I can lift out what I need for a cookie platter.
Cover with lid or slip into plastic bag and freeze.