I got this recipe more than 25 years ago from a sweet elderly neighbor and it has become a yearly must for our family; a favorite of one of our kids. The texture is somewhat like a butter tart and I cut the pieces quite small, so it' s like eating a little candy bar.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries
- With pastry blender, cut butter into flour and brown sugar until well mixed. It will be moist and crumbly.
- Press into ungreased 9x13 pan. (one that has a lid, makes it easy for storage later)
- Bake at 350 F for about 12 min.
- In the meantime, beat eggs slightly, add combined sugar, flour and baking powder,
then the rest of the ingredients.
- Spread over baked layer.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons soft butter or margarine
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 4 – 6 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- Beat together in small bowl to make a smooth spreadable frosting.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Cut into 36 - 48 squares. I cut them up before freezing and then I can lift out what I need for a cookie platter.
Cover with lid or slip into plastic bag and freeze.